Monday, October 24, 2011

White Kitchens

White kitchens are all the rage right now. They are completely elegant and timeless. Plus, a white kitchen can blend into any home type whether it be farmhouse or contemporary. My home is sort of a mixture of the the two.


Really though, I am IN LOVE with white kitchens! I can't even find words to describe why... I guess they just take my breath away! ;) Someday when I have the opportunity to have a bigger kitchen, I'll take some inspiration from these fabulous designs.

This is a Candice Olsen special. I love the sleekness of the island and the brown tones of the wood. If a kitchen can be sexy, this one is it!


Isn't this one fabulous too? I love the nod to classic design details such as the dentil molding and the pilasters in the cabinetry. The sconces speak to the classic style while keeping the space modern. So beautiful.


To me, this is like the Audrey Hepburn of kitchens. The molding is carried up the cabinets to the coffered ceiling which is accented by a gorgeous crystal chandelier. Although the flooring in this kitchen is kept white (looks like marble) balance is achieved with the the dark painted island and contrasting stone top.


I absolutely adore this kitchen because it is so simple but has delightful details. I love the use of the drum shades over {both} the islands. However, I think this only works because the architecture of the room - if the ceiling wasn't so tall, the fixtures would crowd the space.


This kitchen is great because it is very traditional...except that the cabinets are white instead of a deep wood tone. Most people would probably love to have this kitchen but not think to do it in white. I don't think the white takes away from the traditional feel, but rather is a modern take on traditional kitchen design. Elements such as the lighting fixtures, moldings, and the upholstered stools sing a traditional tune while the white keeps everything fresh.


Here's another more transitional kitchen. It still has many elements that today's home buyers are looking for, but in a more elegant and current way. I love the upper display cabinets and the crown molding that finish them off. The white in combination with the wood tone island and butler's pantry acts as an element of surprise.

See. No need to be scared of white! Just take little steps. You can still have the more traditional style you love while keeping things fresh and current.

No comments:

Post a Comment